Importing into Canada

Back to Buyer Resources

Importing From Canada

When importing items from Canada, make sure you have the following ready. If your transportation provider does not handle the customs documentation, you should enlist the services of a customs broker for assistance.

Obtain a Business Number for an import/export account from the Canada Revenue Agency.

For on-road vehicles, check with Canada’s Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) to verify if the vehicle is eligible for import/requires RIV registration.

Prior to border-crossing, the transporter will need to ensure that the item is generally clean (specifically with regard to soil), and void of any major leaks. Items which cannot be satisfactorily cleaned may require special services, such as steam cleaning. Please contact the CBSA and CFIA for further information.

For the item to be imported, determine:

  • The Country of Origin/Manufacture: This can often be found on the item's data plate
  • Tariff Classification of the item
  • Current Value
  • Applicable Canadian Taxes - As determined by the final destination of the item (including HST or GST and PST)

Such information will help determine if the unit qualifies under a trade agreement and the applicable tariffs and duties. If your item qualifies for NAFTA, TruckPlanet can supply the NAFTA documentation at a minimal charge.

Accurately determining the appropriate costs ahead of time will help to ensure timely release at the border.

With the above information, you will be ready to complete the necessary documents for import. At border crossing, you/your transportation provider will be required to present:

  • 2 copies of a Cargo Control Document - This is a manifest of items to be imported and will generally be supplied by the transportation provider/carrier
  • Your TruckPlanet Commercial Invoice
  • Bill of Lading - To be provided by your transportation provider
  • Any additional permits, licenses or certifications (including the original Vehicle Title for "titled" vehicles imported from the US) required for border-crossing or preferential tariff treatment (from the CBSA, CFIA or other governmental agency)

You will want to have all documents submitted to your chosen point of entry at least 72 hours prior to crossing, to ensure their processing. Please check with your specific point of entry regarding your shipment, as not all ports allow all types of imports.

It is important to keep all records pertaining to each Canadian export for six years.